Back to Coronavirus Home Page

Federal Stimulus Payments

You are probably eligible* for a $1,200 stimulus payment. If you claimed a child under age 17 on your tax return, you may be eligible for an additional $500 per child.

Who is in the front of the line for payment?

Those who already filed a tax return for 2018 or 2019 and included an account number for refund or payment.

If that’s you . . . Congratulations. You should receive payment directly into your account within the next few weeks. You will also receive a letter in the mail confirming that payment has been sent.

What if you didn’t file a tax return with your bank account information?

Unless you take action now, it could be a month or more before you receive the money you’re owed. Some people waiting for physical checks may not receive payment until September.

Is it possible to jump ahead in line and get paid faster?

Yes!! The table on the next page provides suggestions for speeding up payment based on your specific situation.

Is there anything else important to know about Federal Stimulus Payments?

Yes. You should keep in mind the following about Federal Stimulus Payments:

  • You will not be taxed on the amount received.
  • Funds received will not count against your public benefit eligibility for 1 year (for example: Section 8, public housing, food stamps, Medicaid).
  • Government will not garnish funds, except in cases of child support debt. Some banks may apply funds to a negative balance.
  • Stimulus payments are not considered a “public charge” by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).


*Eligibility for Federal Stimulus Payments

In order to qualify for the full payment of $1,200 for a single adult ($2,400 if married couple), you must

  • Have a social security number
  • Not be listed as a dependent on anyone else’s tax return
    • Many young adults under age 24 & attending school are claimed by parents as dependents. If this might be you, check with your parents to confirm either way.
  • Have income equal to or less than $75,000 ($150,000, if married) in 2019. If you earned between $75,001 and $99,000 ($150,001 – $198,000 for married couples) and are otherwise eligible, you should receive a reduced payment. Earned income is not a requirement.


If your application for UI has been denied, even after you’ve re-applied or appealed, reach out to a local Legal Aid office for assistance:


How to Speed Up Receipt of the Stimulus Payment Due to You:

“I have a checking, savings, or other direct deposit account” “I filed my 2018 or 2019 taxes already” “I included my account number on my filed tax return” . . . Then you should . . . Resources
Yes Yes Yes Do nothing. You should receive your stimulus payment directly into your account in the next few weeks. Within the next few weeks, you should be able to check payment status at:

No Not relevant Not relevant Talk to staff/case managers at your social enterprise if available, or sign up for an affordable bank account online. Once you have your account and routing number, continue on to one of the steps below to make sure your info is up to date with the IRS. Bank accounts on this site have been pre-screened as affordable & meeting high quality standards

Yes No Not relevant File a tax return for 2019, even if you’re not legally required to do so. Include your bank account number. A potential bonus . . . you may receive an additional tax refund. Work with a volunteer tax preparer over the phone to file your taxes for free


Find IRS approved free web-based software for filing your federal and state tax returns:

Yes Yes, my 2018 taxes only No If you filed your 2018 taxes without your bank account information, go ahead and file taxes for 2019 and include your direct deposit information. A potential bonus . . . you may receive an additional tax refund.
Yes Yes, both 2018 & 2019 No, or my account info has changed Go to the IRS website and update your information.

(available in mid-April)
Yes No and I do not want to file taxes now, even though it may delay payment Not relevant Enter your information via the “non-filers” page on  IRS website. You’ll need to have you and your children’s social security #, state issued ID, and – if you have them –

  • an account & routing number for direct deposit
  • Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) received from the IRS earlier this year